Installing HP LaserJet 500 color on Ubuntu
This document contains the steps necessary to install the printer on Ubuntu GNU/Linux 12.04.
1) Open the printing application.
2) Click Add.
3) Select Enter URI, enter ipp://ilhp500c.stanford.edu and click Forward.
4) Select the option Select printer from database, choose HP and click Forward.
5) Select LaserJet 500 color M551 from the list of models on the left and select HP LaserJet 500 color M551 PostScript from the Drivers list on the right. Click Forward.
6) Make sure that Duplex Unit and Printer disk boxes are checked. Select 1024 MB RAM and continue by clicking Forward.
7) Enter ilhp500c for the short name, HP LaserJet 500 color M551 for the description and Gates 427 as the location. Feel free to enter your own values that will help you identify the printer in the future. Click Apply to proceed.
8) Right click the ilhp500c printer in the printing application and select Properties.
9) Select Printer Options from the list on the left and change the selection Two-sided to Long-Edge Binding to enable duplex printing by default.
10) Congratulations the printer is now installed and ready for use.