Mining Massive Data Sets
The course will discuss data mining and machine learning algorithms for analyzing very large amounts of data. The emphasis will be on Map Reduce as a tool for creating parallel algorithms that can process very large amounts of data.
Important course information will be posted on this web page and announced in class. You are responsible for all material that appears here and should check this page for updates frequently.
- 1/8: The first class will be held at 9:30am on Tuesday 1/8, in NVidia Auditorium, Jen-Hsun Huang Engineering Center.
We look forward to seeing you there!
- 1/8: There will be 3 optional recitation sessions for CS 246 this year. They will cover basic materials on MapReduce/Hadoop, Probability and Linear Algebra. The respective recitations will be held on Thurs. 1/10, 5:15-6:30pm (MapReduce), Thurs. 1/17, 5:15-6:30pm (Probability), Fri. 1/18, 5:15-6:30pm (Linear Algebra) in Thornton 102, Thornton Center (Terman Annex).
We look forward to seeing you there!
- 1/18: The Gradiance quiz on Association Rules has been released. Due 1/24 at 23:59.
- 1/23: The Gradiance quiz on LSH has been released. Due 1/30 at 23:59.
- 1/29: The Gradiance quiz on Dimensionality Reduction and Clustering has been released. Due 2/5 at 23:59.
- 1/31: The earlier alternate final exam time and location has been decided. It will be on 3/19 in 320-105 from 6:00-9:00pm.
- 1/31: The Gradiance quiz on Recommender systems has been released. Due 2/10 at 23:59.
- 2/9: The Gradiance quiz on PageRank has been released. Due 2/16 at 23:59.
- 2/20: The Gradiance quiz on Machine Learning has been released. Due 3/2 at 23:59.
- 2/21: The Final Exam will be held on 3/22 from 12:15-3:15pm in CEMEX Auditorium.
- 2/26: The Alternate Final Exam will be held 3/19 from 6:00-9:00pm in 320-105.
- 3/03: The Gradiance quiz on Data Streams has been released. Due 3/9 at 23:59.
- 3/08: The last Gradiance quiz on Computational Advertising has been released. Due 3/16 at 23:59.
- 3/09: Final exam logistics
- Alternate Final: Tuesday 3/19 6:00-9:00pm in 320-105
Register here: Registration Link (first come first serve!)
- Final: Friday 3/22 12:15-3:15pm in CEMEX Auditorium
See http://campus-map.stanford.edu for directions
- Practice finals are posted on Piazza
- SCPD students can take exam either at Stanford or take it through the exam proctor and return scanned exam to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thu 3/21 5:00pm Pacific time.
SCPD students can take the exam anytime during the week. The exam proctor will receive the exam
Tuesday & Thursday 9:30AM - 10:45AM in NVidia Auditorium, Jen-Hsun Huang Engineering Center.
Watch video lectures on SCPD (any Stanford student can see them here).
Office Hours: Wednesdays 9-10am, Gates 418
TAs and Office hours (Starting from the second week, Jan 14):
Sean Choi (Head TA)
Office Hours: Thursdays 3:00-4:00pm, Location: Gates B24 B
Office Hours: Fridays 2:30-3:30pm, Location: Gates B26 A
Justin Chen (no Google Hangout)
Office Hours: Tuesdays 12:00-1:00pm, Location: Gates B24 A
Office Hours: Tuesdays 3:30-4:30pm, Location: Gates B26 A
Office Hours: Wednesdays 11:00-12:00pm, Location: Gates B24 B
Rose Marie Philip
Office Hours: Mondays 12:00-1:00pm, Location: Gates B24 B
Sebastien (Robi) Robaszkiewicz
Office Hours: Mondays 4:00-5:00pm, Location: Gates 3rd floor, atrium
Office Hours: Wednesdays 4:00-5:00pm, Location: Gates B26 B
Office Hours: Wednesdays 3:00-4:00pm, Location: Gates B26 B
Additional Weekend Office Hours
Saturdays, Sundays 10:00-11:00am, Google Hangout Only
You can reach us at email@example.com
Use Piazza to post class related questions: https://piazza.com/class#winter2013/cs246
(Piazza requires @stanford.edu emaill address to register. If you do not have @stanford.edu address, send us email with your email address and we will register you.)
Previous versions of the course
CS246: Winter 2012
CS246: Winter 2011
CS345a: Winter 2010